The work of the Protocol Engineering Groups and Systems R&D team spans all layers of the tech stack for the Ethereum blockchain. Our work covers both public chain and enterprise, including crypto-economics, consensus, networking, storage, cryptography and virtual machine operations. Some of the challenges we have been focusing on include scalability, privacy, permissioning, and robustness — and there are plenty of other areas we’d like to be working on.
Our path to success lies in working closely with other teams within ConsenSys as well as outside parties including the Ethereum Foundation, the Enterprise Ethereum Alliance, academia and other members of the wider Ethereum ecosystem. The goal of our research is not primarily academic, but is directed towards improving and evolving the Ethereum platform for all stakeholders.
We are seeking applied research engineers from a variety of backgrounds who are able to think deeply and creatively about protocol-level blockchain challenges and translate that work into practical outputs for PegaSys, enterprises seeking to use Ethereum and the wider blockchain community. Areas in which we are working include, but are by no means limited to,
- Distributed systems and big data processing
- Scalability techniques such as blockchain sharding
- Consensus mechanisms such as proof-of-stake, IBFT and others
- Blockchain privacy protocols and permissioning
- Applications of cryptography
- Game theory and cryptoeconomic design
- Blockchain and cryptographic data structures
- Peer-to-peer protocols
- Decentralized file systems such as IPFS and Swarm
The Profile We’re Seeking
- Demonstrable expertise in one or more of the areas listed above.
- Flexible and ever learning, and willing to broaden your expertise to other areas.
- Not purely a theoretician, but keen to see your insights translated into practical outputs.
- Enterprise software development experience in Java.
- Comfortable coding up proofs of concept, libraries, prototypes and demos.
- You are a willing collaborator: swift to seek support and advice; equally ready to give support and advice to others.
- You are an able and keen communicator, eager to share your work in a wide variety of contexts, possibly including public and internal presentations, written articles and papers.
- You are comfortable with working remotely, and will make progress without supervision while proactively keeping in contact with other remote collaborators. You can manage the uncertainties and ambiguities associated with working in a remote-first, distributed, decentralised environment.
ConsenSys is focused on building and scaling tools and software products for the Ethereum blockchain. Our mission is to use these solutions to empower decentralized networks for social, political, and business related use cases.
Our teams are busy at work building the future of identity, financial markets, commerce, security and infrastructure, and more. If you are someone that thrives in a fast-paced environment where being self-directed, determined, and resilient are a requirement, we would love for you to join us.
The Protocol Engineering Group (PegaSys) team within ConsenSys creates and contributes to the software which operates Ethereum networks from the public chain to enterprise ecosystems. PegaSys is on a mission to enable the decentralized future by building a next-generation enterprise-grade blockchain platform.